UNEMPLOYMENT ... NOT ALL IT'S CRACKED UP TO BE

It has been so long since I've written anything in here; I almost forgot how to do it! :)

It has been a crazy, insane, depressing, scary, laughable summer, and it seems all those adjectives (and more) have followed me into the fall. I am still unemployed ... sort of ... more on that later. And I must tell you, unemployment is not all it's cracked up to be.

You always hear stories of people that manipulate the system to get unemployment. I'm not sure why! I have gone absolutely stir-crazy staring at the same four walls! After you've cleaned everything there is to clean, organized everything there is to organize, and you really have no place to go ... what does a person do??

Soap operas ... I'm not sure how people watch them all day. I want to reach into the television and shake all of their misguided, unrealistic necks. Do they not get reality???

I need to be working. Don't get me wrong, I love a break like anyone would, but this four month break was long enough for me.

Things I hate about being unemployed:
1. Worrying about money
2. Bills I can't pay
3. Having friends offer to take you out because you can't afford to do that on your own
4. Worrying about money
5. The uncertainity of the future
6. Worrying about money

... Do you see a pattern here?

The other part of the whole thing is that I've come to realize that I really am wired to be a teacher. It's in my blood, if you will allow me a little cheese for a moment. :) I feel most comfortable teaching. I LOVE IT!!! So, this whole "not being employed" thing has really rocked my little world.

I now understand why people who become unemployed sink into depression. Is it any wonder? You suddenly feel unwanted, rejected, not worthy, not up to par ... fill in the blank.

Being unemployed sucks!

I said I was still unemployed, sort of ... well, I'm in the beginning days of a six-week long-term substitute position. It's been a wonderful experience so far, and I'm in my element. Yes, I'm having fun! It makes me even more resolute to find a job for next term!

More to come later ...

Comments

Popular Posts