HAPPY NEW YEAR ... a couple of days early

I've long ago decided that New Years Resolutions are just not my jam.  They do not work for me. I would make them. I would write them down. Then, I would ignore them. Every. Single. Year. A public exercise in futility. 

A couple of years ago, I decided, why bother attempting to make something that isn't going to happen? And then, why be arrogant enough to splash it on social media for everyone to see and scoff at because, let's be honest here, anyone who knows me well, knows I am NOT going to do any of those things I haughtily wrote down.

Never the less, I can't help, as the year rapidly draws to a close, but think about things that I might be willing to undertake in the brand new year. It is, after all, a clean slate. What is it that I could do with that clean slate?

I was talking with a friend a month or so ago, and I was bemoaning to her that social media was becoming a bit of a problem for me. And it wasn't even the amount of time that I spent on social media. The problem that had arisen was the complete and utter feeling of annoyance and disgust at the drivel I saw on there regularly. I am not talking an inconvenience sort of annoyance. No. I am talking full-on, "give me something to slap them about their head and face" kind of annoyance. She asked me why I felt like what someone else posted should affect me in such a way. My answer? "Because they are self-centered, and they expect us all to acknowledge that the world revolves around them ... AND IT DOESN'T."  So, why not stop looking at it, was her reply.

Why not, indeed!

I think the first thing I would like to be aware of in the new year is how my actions affect others ... or don't affect others and make decisions accordingly.  Let me explain ...

I use this venue to ruminate and cogitate and, yes, vent, but it isn't for my own glorification or edification.  I am not searching for people to validate me on here. Rather, I am looking to hone my craft ... that of writing, specifically non-fiction writing as that has always been the weaker of the two writing crafts for me. A writer needs outlets for writing. This is mine. And I will be the first to admit that I've ignored this outlet (as others) for some time now. However, a goal of mine is to really up the output of writing that occurs this coming year. Whether that is looking for forums that pay for my writing or finally getting a novel finished and published or continuing to ruminate on here ... whatever it is, I need to do more of it.

It also means that whatever I post on social media will continue to be something I feel like people might be interested in ... like funny anecdotes about my crazy, hum-drum life ... or a struggle that is real and hits home for many ... a short piece that resonates ... or a link to something I might have seen or something I've written on here.

What you will not see is a blow-by-blow detailed account of my life. My life is my life. Not yours. What I do daily isn't something you care to know about or I care to share.  Not unless it is funny, and I think someone else might find humor in it as well.

Nor will you see me self-promoting or grandstanding an accomplishment. If I share something about my life it will be something that I want friends and family who live far away to know and celebrate.

I will attempt not to complain ... I did that A LOT in August and September ... it was not my usual jam, and people called me out on it. Hey! We all have weak moments, but I will not let those weak moments be a crutch. Rather, I want how I travel through those weak moments (gracefully or hanging on my a thread, which ever way I swing) to be a moment where my readers could say:

  1. Shew! I DO NOT want to do what she did!    OR
  2. The way she reacted to that situation should be a lesson for me. 
I think I will also attempt to set monthly goals for myself ... little things that I feel could be achievable. But once again, you are likely never to know about them or whether or not I've achieved them. Not because I am being secretive, but because, honestly, do you care?  Shouldn't we all be about the business of living our lives rather than posting about living our lives (or some self-created version of life, let's be honest here)?

Which brings me to my last point ... through a long process, one thing I've discovered about myself is that above everything else, I value authenticity the most. If you cannot be authentic and honest with me, I literally drop you ... leave you behind.  Okay, I'm not saying that leaving you behind is the best way to handle that situation, and I probably need to work some more on myself to make sure that I deal with folks in a better way. However, authenticity will continue to be the thing I value the most in people, which is the other reason why my presence on social media needs to be more intentional. I am sick of the lack of authenticity among people ... or the idea that by shining a beacon upon yourself, you are somehow being authentic, which is not the case at all. 

So, clean slate ... cob webs brushed away ... make way for new revelations and achievements and adventures and LIFE!

Feel free to join me in being authentic, getting my nose out of my devices, undertaking a passion that you've let fall by the wayside, attempting to better yourself in some way, or just enjoy the small moments that, when put together, make a beautiful life worth living! 

Happy New Year!



Comments

Popular Posts