2 DOWN .... 40 MORE TO GO!

I can add two more books to my wimpy list of books I've read in 2015.  A FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green and THE HUSBAND'S SECRET by Liane Moriarty.

A FAULT IN OUR STARS ... it was fine. Honestly, I closed the virtual cover on the thing and was left wondering what all the fuss was.  I mean, yes.  It was a well-written book, and the dude that wrote it?  Props for nailing the female voice without it being all sugary sweet, antithesis of a modern female and whatever.  But I am finding it EXTREMELY hard to believe that the modern American teenager speaks like the two main characters do.  Seriously.

I've been a keen observer of teenagers, and I have to say, their limited grasp of the English language (unless, of course, it requires the prerequisite use of vulgarity) is astonishing.  With that in mind, I'm just not convinced. Not. At. All.

Plus, I have to be honest.  The plot was predictable.  I knew the outcome before I'd even gotten past the 30% mark of the book.  I do enjoy being surprised/blown away/sucked in/whatever you want to call it.

Someone asked me the other day, "yeah, but you cried, right?"

Ummm, there was one tiny, inconsequential part that I got sorta teary-eyed. That was it.

THE HUSBAND'S SECRET ... Liana Moriarty is one of my new faves!  I love her smart, witty writing.  I really do.  The very first book I read of her's was BIG LITTLE LIES, and that book was stupendous!  I loved every last word of it!  I'm not going to say that this book captivated me quite as much as the other, but man! This girl can write!  I just loved the way she flirts with weighty topics without getting all "in your face" with it.  It was a a great read, and I highly recommend it.

Now, I am off to whittled down that 50 BOOKS IN ONE YEAR goal.  I mean, ten books in four months!?  I might actually get there this year, people!

Cross your fingers, y'all!

Comments

Popular Posts