ORGANIZING MY CRAP

My sister passed a link onto me over Christmas Break.  It was a link to an article about the Netflix series TIDYING UP.  This series follows organizational guru Marie Kondo as she helps people get their houses whipped into organizational shape.

I have needed a boost in my organizational mojo. I have hit a moment in time where walking into a room and attempting to deal with the clutter has all sorts of overwhelming feelings attached to it. In other words, I take one look and hightail it the heck out of that room.

But desperate times call for desperate measures. So, I plunked down and binged watched four episodes.

Now, full disclosure, Marie Kondo does some interesting things in each show. First of all, she greets each families' house and listens to it. Listen, I've been living in this house for 8 plus years. I am not introducing myself to my house. If it doesn't know me by now, it's not going to help to introduce myself to it now.

She also suggests that before you give away or throw away an item, you thank it for serving you well. Yeaaaaahhhhhh, I'm not doing that either. If that makes me uncooperative, then fine. I am uncooperative.

Marie suggests starting with clothes first, and she asks that everyone pull every last piece of clothing you own out of your closet, drawers, bins, and baskets, and she asks that you create a mountain on your bed.

This mountain forces you to take each piece of clothing in your hands and examine it. If the piece of clothing sparks joy, you keep it. If it doesn't, you get rid of it.

I figured I could do this. I also figured it would stress me out.

Both proved to be true.

My mountain of clothes was both overwhelming and embarrassing. I mean, why have I kept sooooo many clothes for so long????

I won't go into the gory details, but suffice it to say, I ended up with two garbage bags full of clothes to take to consignment or Goodwill as well as two small Kroger bags.

Y'all!

From there, I went to TJ MAXX and dropped $30 on fridge containers to organize my refrigerator because I swear I am so over wasting money on groceries that get lost in the back of the refrigerator, never to be seen again.

I am now on the warpath to get the rest of my kitchen organized. In particular, I want to get my drawers organized and my giant cabinet full of baking goods. There will be dry goods canisters purchased, and I will be organizing my life into oblivion.

There will be the organization of the sock drawer ... the organization of the linen closet ... and, Lord, help me, the organization of my office.

My goal is to have a tidy, neat home that I would not be embarrassed to have people come to ... a girl can hope, right!? 


Comments

Popular Posts