ON BEING LAID OFF ...

Well, it happened again. Last night, I reached into my mailbox and pulled out a "SORRY TO INFORM YOU, BUT YOU'VE BEEN LAID OFF" letter. Yep. It's official, or so the letter says.

This isn't the first time I've been laid off, officially or otherwise. Two years ago, I got the big heave-ho. Officially, I got it once. Unofficially, I got laid off three times ... in one instance, it happened twice in one day.

So, I guess you could say that I'm a veteran at this. I know that I get to keep my insurance for awhile longer, and I understand the quickening heart rate the closer I get to that cut off. I also know all about the sinking feelings you get every time you get a "Dear John" letter from a school district. I also know that, no matter how hard you cry to the staffer for your local state representative, you still won't be able to talk to a real person at the umemployment office! Yep, I've got it all down cold.

This time, however, it's going to be different. I'm approaching it differently. I'm not going to cry. I'm not going to get down. I'm looking at this as an adventure, and quite frankly, I'm overdue for an adventure ... WAAAAAY overdue.

So, the resume is done, and the skeleton cover letter will be complete later on this evening. That leaves only the teacher portfolio to finish revising ... then the real work begins.

Buckle your seatbelts; it's going to be a wild ride!

Comments

Popular Posts