POETRY ... SELF-DISCOVERY

I was intimidated by poetry when I was younger. I suppose that's because I wasn't sure how to tackle it or where the author wanted me to seek true meaning.

I guess that's why I decided this year to really spend a lot of time exposing my students to poetry. I didn't want my students to feel incapable of working through a piece of poetry ... to be scared by it. We've studied some wonderful poems, and I tapped into quite a few that I knew they would have immediate connections with ... poets like Kenn Nesbitt and Shel Silverstein. It's been a great year of connecting to the literature and synthesizing and analyzing ...

But here's the really funny thing ... while attempting to help my students become poetry-savvy, I've learned an amazing amount myself! Ironic, isn't it? You set out to educate someone, and you end up educating yourself in the process.

Discovery is an amazingly powerful tool, and one I want to keep at a ready grasp. I want to always have that innate desire to learn and grow ... that feeling deep within that guides me forward to uncover new things. I suppose when that feeling wanes, it's a good indication that life is beginning to wind down.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Megan, I thought you had forgotten about me!! Great to hear from you. If you get this message, you will know that I managed to muster enough smarts to understand this new way of communicating (smile).
You're an excellent writer; one of your main purposes in life. This is so exciting and I'm very happy for you. You're growing, Growing, GROWING, since you left the COA's employ.
I discovered that I'll have to send it as 'anonymous' because I couldn't understand the procedure for sending as a blogger. I told you ... senility.
Mittie

Popular Posts