Breaking my silence

It's been pretty quiet here in my little blog land.  But I have a good excuse!  I've been busy teaching ... in Russian.

What?

You need proof that I can teach in Russian?

All right!

Picture this.  I was reviewing with my students, concepts that they we had learned -- or so I thought -- first quarter, when I posed this first question.

"So, before the first white settlers every set foot on the land we now call Kentucky, who were our very first residents?"

Lots of eagerly waved hands.

I point to one little eager beaver, and they shouted enthusiastically, "THE PILGRIMS."

"Ummmm ... okay ... uh nooooooo ...."

We finally got it straight -- Native American's = "first peoples"

And then I did it ... I dared to ask the next question:  "So, if the explorers and settlers didn't travel through the Cumberland Gap to get here, how did they travel?"

"THE MAYFLOWER!"

Yep, it's true.  I'm teaching in Russian.  Clearly.  There was something lost in translation.

Comments

Popular Posts