APOCALYPTIC

................. Apocalyptic .........................

It's an appropriate word when I think back six years ago to a Tuesday that feels much like this Tuesday does.

What was I feeling? What was I thinking? What was going through my mind?

Apocalypse ... that's what I thought.

I remember sitting in the longest line I'd ever seen at any gas station I'd ever been to, and thinking, in stunned silence, "My gosh! Is this the end of the world?"

Absolutely EVERYONE waiting to pump gas that night had their car radios on ... tuned and listening to the same thing ... the collective sounds of, what we thought, was the end of the world.

My chin still quivers ... my heart still gets heavy ... my eyes still water when I allow myself to dwell on that night.

In the aftermath of that horrible day, it was, for me, the end of my innocence.

I stopped believing in security and safety ...

I started living with a larger community-mindedness ... there is a world outside of my very, tiny box.

I began looking at people AS PEOPLE.

My inner-self that looked at the world through rose-colored glasses finally grew up ... whether it was ready or not ...

Life is sort of ugly like that sometimes ... yet, if we choose to use the lessons we've been given, there is a certain beauty that seems to bloom from it all ...

Comments

Popular Posts