BEING THANKFUL

I was reading a post by someone last night that made me stop and pause (read the article here).  The article spelled out the difference between happy people and disgruntled, miserable people, and it made me stop and think about my gloomy mood of recent days.

Okay, well, gloomy perhaps doesn't catch the true essence of the mood.  More like storm of the century storm clouds brewing off in the horizon, slowly moving this direction in an ominous swirling, rolling formation.

And then I was reminded about a coworker, who is in the last stages of cancer.  The doctors have told him there is nothing left they can do.  It hit me ... I bet he would give anything to be able to get up at the crack of dawn every single day and work out ... and have his foot kill him ... or his knee kill him ... or feel all the aches and pains of general "body in motion" sort of stuff.  

Given his situation, would I sweat all of the small stuff I've been sweating lately?  The office politics that drive me to want to drink or strangle someone or both?

I am complaining ... I am whining ... I am generally weepy about stuff that I shouldn't really be weepy about.

If I had a limited time to live ... say 30 days, would I care so much about the things I am currently caring about?  Hopefully, I would be in a place of acceptance and love rather than a place of resistance and criticizing.  Hopefully, I would seek the positive and shed the negative.  Hopefully, I would focus on the things I have, my abundance, rather than the things I don't have.  Hopefully, I would be in a place of thanksgiving rather than a place of regret.

Today, for just one day, I will attempt to try the impossible.  Today, I plan to focus on the positive.  Yes, I have weight to lose, but I WILL lose it, if I put the work into it.  Laziness is not an option. 

I will focus on what doesn't hurt.  I will focus on what is beautiful in my life, what is meaningful, what are the most important parts of this life I've been given. 

I will work on being thankful and working on the positives.

Comments

Popular Posts