AN EXPENSIVE LESSON TO LEARN

Today, I visited the Dodge dealership. This wasn't a social call. No, no. I had to have my window regulator replaced. You see, in my infinite wisdom, I attempted, one frigid morning, to engage my driver's side power window ... on one of the coldest Kentucky days on record.

This is not recommended. It doesn't end well.

My appointment today was at 8 a.m. I've been sick all week, but I drug my butt out before the rest of the world had awakened because not having the window functioning was a safety issue.

I arrived with 10 minutes to spare, coffee in hand, ready to hand over the keys to Little Red. The nice lady at the service counter greeted me with a smile and friendly niceties and told me I could wait on the park bench outside of the service department, seeing as it was a nice day. In my mind, this was a perfect idea! I could enjoy my coffee and try my hardest to get the synapses in my brain firing all at once rather than at random intervals! So I settled in ...

At 8 a.m., the nice lady walked out to my truck and put a floor mat and plastic seat cover in my car, and Jimmy the Mechanic followed her out to "take a look at the truck." He smiled, gave Little Red a once over -- poor little thing is so dirty right now -- and walked back to the garage, taking a leisurely drag on his cigarette.

"Okay," I'm thinking. "Jimmy's going to finish the cigarette and get started. I should be out of here by 8:45 or 9 a.m., at the latest."

"Hey!" Jimmy hollered at the nice lady. "We got any coffee brewed?"

Crap! This is what I get for thinking!

At approximately 8:05 a.m., Jimmy sauntered back outside, coffee cup in hand, and decided to start chatting with me!

"I'm Jimmy, and I'm going to be taking care of your car here soon."

I thanked him, and, apparently, this was, in his mind, an invitation to start asking the "where are you from" questions. Turns out, he used to work in Battle Creek, Kalamazoo, and Three Rivers ... places, I am very familiar with, but, quite frankly, this line of conversation wasn't getting the window regulator in my truck working.

I am pretty sure Jimmy was trying to flirt with me, and I certainly would have been inclined to flirt back if Jimmy had actually started his job any where in close proximity to 8 a.m. Instead, it was nearer to the 8:30 a.m. time slot before Jimmy hopped into my truck, floored it, going from 0 to 80 in under 3 seconds, into the garage. Perhaps he gets points for making vehicles actually take flight into the garage ...

It's at this point, I must say, with much conviction, that I desperately miss my auto mechanic back home!!!!! John, and his sister, Denise, are just AWESOME! I am currently trying to come up with a convincing proposal for John ... I think they need to franchise, and Frankfort would be the perfect place to locate! I mean, L & L Auto of Frankfort sure has a nice ring to it ....

At any rate, I have to keep in mind, that folks down here move at a slower pace, and, God Bless them, they are as friendly as the day is long. This is such a refreshing change of pace from the "rush-rush-rush, don't speak to anyone unless spoken to" attitude up north. Still, could no one tell that I just wanted my truck back?

As my father wisely pointed out, as he so often does, "this was a costly lesson for you to learn, wasn't it? Think it's something you will remember?"

Ah ... yeah! At the cost of $353.22, I think I have learned my lesson!

Comments

Popular Posts