GOTTA GET HOME SOON

I called my cousin Margot to wish her a Happy Birthday (a day late), and the following was a snippet of one of our many conversations:

During the course of the conversation, Margot starts to sort of giggle.

"I'm sorry," she says. "It's just that as you've been talking, I can hear that you're losing the hard Michigan accent. It's getting softer. You're getting a slight Kentucky thing."

"Oh no! I'm assimilating!"

More laughter from Margot. "It's okay. It happened to me when we lived in Dallas. My friend, Lark, used to tease me about it all the time."

No, No, NO! This is unacceptable. You can take the girl out of Michigan, but you can't take Michigan out of the girl! No! I've got to make a trip home soon. I just can't lose that harsh, nasally Northern accent that grates on every one's last nerve!

Comments

Christy said…
Southern accents are very attractive and charming. Be a belle, Megan. Don't fight it.

Once you learn how to make chicken, biscuits, and sweet tea, our yankee transformation project will be complete!
Megan said…
I stop at that the peanuts in my RC Cola, though!
Anonymous said…
Don't give up your true accent without a fight...It's what keeps you unique!!! Fight sister, fight!! Ha!
NeeCee

Popular Posts