CONJURING UP MY INNER MADONNA

There are only a few things I can think of in my life time that will cause me to seek professional, mental health help: Bathing suit shopping, apartment shopping, and bra shopping.

This past weekend, I did the latter type of shopping. First, it annoys me to no end that it costs so ding-dang much for bras. Then, there is a whole other annoyance in the form of not being able to find the size that I need.

I was already in a bad mood when I walked into the fitting room with my arms full of bras of different varieties and sizes. Yes, okay, I had had a professional fitting a few years ago, but the bras that the consultant suggested I wear just were not a very flattering look, I'd come to realize.

So, there I was, standing in front of the mirror, looking at my reflection and realizing that I resembled a chubbier version of Madonna and her Pointy Number (who could forget THAT one), and I think I audibly said, "Oh, this shouldn't be."

I tried calling Carrie first since I knew she'd need a laugh ... Spring Break was ending, after all. But, because she was living it up on her last few hours of spring break, all I got was her mechanical secretary (that's David Murray for VOICE MAIL).

Well, I had no other recourse. I would be forced to call my mother. I'd been wearing the wrong kind of bra for so long, frankly, I'd forgotten what the girls were suppose to look like, but I was pretty sure, my current situation was just that ... A SITUATION.

"Mom?" I whispered into my cell.

"HELLO!?!?"

"Mom?"

"HELLO!!! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

"Mom! I'm in the fitting room of the lingerie department. This is as loud as I'm going to get."

"Oh."

"I need to ask you a question."

"Oh good grief."

"Are they suppose to be pointy?"

Audible laughter on the other end of the line.

"Really. Are they? My current bras are giving me a more uniboob approach, which Clinton and Stacy say are a no-no. But jeez these look ridiculous."

"Well, I guess it all depends. Do you want two separate boobs? Or do you want one?"

"Well, two, of course!"

"Well, then I think you're good with the one you are trying on."

"But they're pointy! I could poke some one's eye out."

"Again. What do you want? One or two?"

"Someone is going to get hurt, Mom. I can just tell already."

More audible laughter.

"You realize I'm going to blog about this, right?"

"Of course!"

Comments

Micah said…
Ooooh, this post is so funny! There has to be an alternative to having one single boob or two pointy ones, right? But what do I know? I never really had boobs until I had to buy nursing bras!

Popular Posts