Putting Order to the Chaos

Last Thursday, I created my very own CLEANING CALENDAR -- a little idea I discovered on Pinterest.  And while we're on the subject of Pinterest, can I just say it?  This will be the death of what little bit of productivity I have!  I can spend, literally, hours perusing the pages of that most amazing website.  I create plans, have desires and have an entire organized life dreamed up after I leave its virtual pages.  Meanwhile, the spiders have taken over my house and cobwebs are hanging everywhere ... and the dust!  Oh the dust!  It covers the smooth surfaces of my house like a gritty blanket.  But in my mind, my house is a palace of luxurious organization.

But back to the cleaning calendar.  I found a template that someone out there uses, and you know what?  It made sense to me! When I first started out on my own, I lived in a cute, little one bedroom apartment that, on a Saturday morning, I could have cleaned up in two hours. 

Fast forward 14 years and a semi-truck full of "stuff," and cleaning is a day or two project!  I am overwhelmed (or underwhelmed, depending on my mindset at the beginning of my cleaning mania) and want to do ANYTHING but clean, including hanging upside down by my toe nails!

This calendar seemed so do-able, but the schedule revolves on starting the whole process on a Monday.  And this was a Thursday that I created it ... and here is where the depth of my depravity sinks to new lows.  I decided to hold off on actually beginning the calendar until today, Monday, because it would, are you ready for this?  It would mess up the flow of the calendar!

I know.  I KNOW!!!  My mother is somewhere in Michigan attempting to work through my reasoning.  I get it.  I get that I am not quite right.  Trust me.  But this is the way I am wired, so I'm going with it, and the rest of the world is just going to have to deal with it.

So, today, I started the calendar, and I have to say, with the minor exception of me trying to do a bit more than the calendar requires for Monday (mainly, getting things picked up that have been laying around FOREVER), it was easily accomplished! 

My morning routine/duties are to ...
  • make beds
  • unload the dishwasher
  • do one load of laundry
  • wipe down all sinks in the bathrooms
  • Chore of the Day
My Chore of the Day is vacuuming, which is done. 

I feel sooooo accomplished too! 

The evening routine will be ...
  • do dishes
  • load the dishwasher
  • pick up baskets (??)
  • wipe down kitchen counters
  • spot clean/sweep kitchen floor
Now, I am not too sure what the PICK UP BASKETS means, so that translates into me taking the recycling down to the recycling receptacle and Swiffering the hardwood floors.

Tomorrow, I will repeat the morning and evening duties as well as tomorrow's CHORE OF THE DAY, which will be to clean all mirrors and windows.  I soooo have this!

I will keep you all updated on how well I do with this Cleaning Calendar. It's all an effort to put order to this chaos, don't you know.  If all goes well, you should be able to eat off most of the floors in my house ... not that you'd necessarily want to, but you get the idea.

Comments

Popular Posts