Intimate Details

I can count on one hand the people who I trust enough to know all my crap. Okay, I can count on about three fingers.  Maybe four.  But that's a pretty shaky number.  Those three people?  They pretty much know it all.  The down side is that they can call me on it.  All of it.  But that's how this sort of intimate friendship works, right?

Trust isn't an easy thing for me.  I've been burned enough times that you really need to earn my trust before I just give you the golden invitation to get all up in my business.  And even then, I don't give you the whole kit and caboodle.

Hey, do you remember Caboodles!?  Gosh, those things were handy. 

I digress.

I've been blessed (or cursed ... it's all in the way you look at it) to have been part of others' lives ... I've been immersed in their mess, and I am thrilled, for the most part, that I've been there for those messy times ... friends for a season, you know.

However, I wouldn't say that I trust my baggage to those folks.  It's harsh, I know, but it's not easy putting it all there only to find that someone has decided to share your stuff with their spouse or sibling or parent or friends or neighbor or the dude standing behind them in the grocery line.

It was about this time last year that I was sitting around a table of folks, shooting the crap, and the subject of weddings came up.  The comment was made that weddings seem sort of ridiculous in the whole grand scheme of things.  They've become just another event wherein you must outdo the person before you.

I started thinking ...

I get the reason behind having people witness the commitment you make to your one and only love and God.  I really do get it.  However, I couldn't help thinking about those folks that I truly love ... people that know the intimate details of my life.  Those are the ones I want there on my special day (which is less and less a life goal and more and more a very fuzzy day dream).

The older I get, the more I realize it isn't about attempting to be the most popular or the most liked. It's about surrounding yourself with those few that will be there for ALL the intimate details.

Comments

Popular Posts