THE 'WO'MAN IN THE MIRROR

Well, it's official.  I am the same weight I was when I started Weight Watchers two years ago.

Here's what's different:

  • This fact hasn't sent me into a spiral of self-loathing.
  • I didn't run out and eat tons of not-so-good-for-me crap (I sorta already did that ... for a few months ... but then again, this is no surprise considering where I've been, weight-wise).
  • There were no tears involved with revelation.
  • I recognize that, while not healthy, I am NOT a number. 
Two years ago, I struck out on Weight Watchers thinking that this was the only way I could and would lose weight.  I discovered two things:
  • While a wonderful program (DO NOT read into this that I think WW is bad or no good), I ALREADY knew what to do.  I just plain wasn't doing it.  Clearly, I haven't been doing it for a while.
  • I was using WW as a crutch for far too long.  I falsely assumed that I couldn't do this under my own power, which is NEVER the way to approach any sort of life change.  Truth be told, it will take a lot of my OWN power, in the form of discipline, to make this work. 
Last night, while coming home from some errands, which if I must be truthful, included a trip to McDonald's (I had budgeted the calories for it!!  I swear!), I heard a Michael Jackson song, that while I've always liked, struck a very strong chord with me at that particular moment.  While screeching along with Michael, I decided right then and there, this song was going to be one of my themes for the year!

I am, of course, changing the lyrics slightly to fit my particular place in time -- I mean, I am a WOMAN and not a man.  In case you were questioning that ... 

I am, ladies and gentlemen, starting with the woman in the mirror today ... and tomorrow ... and the next day ... and the next day after that.  I am the only one that can make that change ... no program ... no fancy shake ... no special, magic wand.  Only me. 

A little inspiration as I begin once again ... 




Comments

Popular Posts