AND SO BEGINS MY SUMMER BREAK

I saw my 8th year of teaching completed yesterday ... another group of students were shuttled out of the doors of our building -- covered in silly string and maybe slightly wet.

Ahhhhhh ... the sense of freedom is overwhelming....

But there was a part of me that was a little sad to see them all go -- the part of me that had not spent my entire day yesterday trying to maintain a modicum of sanity in an otherwise, INSANE day. This has been, by far, my best class. Sweet children that have made me laugh almost every single day. They have been the bright spots in some otherwise frustrating days this year. They reminded me of the reason I started teaching in the first place ... curiosity overcomes ignorance.

This week, I've received some wonderful notes from parents. Is it sad to say this is the first year out of eight that has occurred? Don't get me wrong. I would do this job if not one single parent ever thanked me for loving and educating their child for nine months out of the year (and, by the way, I have!). I really would. But this year, especially, I found myself asking, out loud, this question, "What if my shelf life in this job is coming up? What if I'm at that point that I just need to throw in the bloodied towel? How much longer can I can continue to work myself to the bone and not get anything out of it but more frustration? When is enough really enough?"

Yeah ... the tough questions.

And then, I get this note: "He has had the best year and has really loved his teachers this year. He told me he wanted to go to 5th grade, but wanted all of his teachers to go with him. It is just a small way to say thank you for all the things you do for my child. He is my prized possession, and I have never had to worry once about his education or safety this year….I knew he was in the right place with the right people."

Wow!

Or this one: "Just wanted to let you know how much I truly appreciated you timely and thoughtful communications regarding my son this school year. I know towards the end of the year has been a bit challenging for you and him but you have Soared like an eagle! Have a fantastic summer and know that our family will miss have you as his teacher. With sincerest appreciation..."

Or how about this one: "I just wanted to thank you for all you've done for my daughter. She has been so happy in your class, and I can definitely see the progress she's made."

And then there was this one from a parent that I tried unsuccessfully to meet with all year: "My daughter just loved being in your class. I want to thank you for all you've done for her this year. You are the best!"

What ever sort of frustration I felt ... whenever those times were (and they were plentiful ... just ask Carrie ... she got to hear me vent on many a drive home for her) ... they simply pale in comparison to these notes. Once again, I sit in humility at the job that has been placed before me ... I think it's one of the toughest jobs to do because, if you do it for the right reasons, it rests on on educator's shoulders to mold a human being for the person he or she will be as an adult. I don't take that commission lightly.

Comments

Nicole said…
Megan that is amazing. I truly understand what you mean about the tough questions that you ask and then you receive notes such as those that you quoted! Simply amazing!! It makes you remember why we came into this profession!!

Popular Posts