A BOUNTY AROUND MY TABLE

It is Fall Break, which means I am, once again, trying to get a handle on The Crazy that seems to surround my life during my work days.  

Why must Crazy follow me?  Why can't I just motor through life without having to slip in Crazy's puddle of Hot Mess?  

I spent the first week of my break being chased by Crazy, ending with a quick trip to Michigan.  The second week was all doctors' appointments and making up for the lack of sleep from the beginning part of the first week.  This week has been getting my proverbial act together.  I think I might need more than a week, y'all!  My act has been spinning out of control for a while now.

I decided I wanted to cook more ... in response to my desire to be less wasteful of my cash and the food I buy with said cash and then subsequently let rot in my refrigerator because I am lazy and end up spending more cash eating not-so-good-for-me food.  

I had friends over last night as a thank you for all their help while I was gone to Michigan, and I decided to make a family favorite meatloaf, a tossed salad, and a family favorite cake for dessert.  It was a big hit, and my kitchen was filled with warm, savory scents!  And suddenly, I remembered what it was like to come home to a balanced meal!  This is the way it should be ALL the time!

This morning, I woke up, and rather than randomly search for yummy recipes, I decided to look for a savory recipe that included chicken.  My momma didn't raise no dummy.  If you had beef last night, you need to make a white meat or fish or casserole this evening.  So, chicken it was!  And cranberries.  Because nothing says savory like some cranberries ... made into a cranberry sauce ... and throwing in some onions ... and Sweet Ray's barbecue sauce.  I mean, really!? 

At some point, I am going to get this whole organization thing down. I promise.  I mean, the Earth will probably stop spinning when I do, but I am at least giving it a valiant effort.  
In anticipation of next week's Back-to-the-Grind, I am looking at some make-ahead breakfast sandwiches, as well as easy to-put-together meals that will allow me to eat nutritiously, but also with some sort of ease and lack of stress.  

I know, I know, it's a stretch, people.  I get it.  But it's something to strive for, no?

Comments

Popular Posts