OPERATION DECLUTTER THE KITCHEN

I don't do things just because everyone else is doing it.  I don't want to conform ... COMPLETELY.  So, when I started seeing all the HYPE about Jen Hatmaker's book 7: AN EXPERIMENTAL MUTINY AGAINST EXCESS, I dug my feet in and refused to give in to the collective peer pressure.  I. Wasn't. Going. To. Do. It.

But then I had a friend.

Well, I have more than one friend ... I think ... but I had this friend, and her husband lost his job, rather unceremoniously (not that there is EVER ceremony to such occurrences), and she was all, "YOU'VE GOT TO READ THIS BOOK IT IS AMAZING AND IT'S WRECKING ME AND OMG THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD YOU JUST MUST READ IT," and I still refused, mainly because I knew it would wreck me too.  And seriously, people, why would ANYONE want to be wrecked?  Right?

Fast-forward to a month or so ago, when I FINALLY decided to download my free Kindle app, because everyone was all, "OMG KINDLE IS DA BOMB HOW DID I LIVE MY LIFE WITHOUT MY KINDLE," and so, yeah, I kinda caved under THAT peer pressure.  I'm not impervious, folks.

So, I asked my friend, the same one that was all, "YOU'VE GOT TO READ THIS BOOK IT IS AMAZING AND IT'S WRECKING ME AND OMG THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD YOU JUST MUST READ IT," if she wouldn't mind lending me some books just to see if this free app would work.  And dag gone it, that woman lent me 7!  

The thing is, this book?  It was amazing!  It is amazing! And that's saying something because I absolutely HATE to read non-fiction. As a teacher, I am required to do a certain amount of professional reading.  I hate it.  The cat is out of the bag.  The dirty little skeleton is out of the closet.  I really, really do hate it.  So, picking up a non-fiction book that might wreck me?  NO.  WAY.  Just, no way.

But the minute I turned my digital page to PG. 1, I was hooked!  Personally, reading Jen Hatmaker's book was like talking to my friend.  It was sarcastic and funny and acerbic and slightly irreverent and well REAL in all the right places. Before I knew what was going on, when I was powerless to stop her, Jen was nailing me to the wall about my excess and the mutiny that would need to take place here.

I finished the book last night, and I hit the ground running this morning ... after copious amounts of coffee and due diligence given to the ridiculous topics on The Today Show.  The excess I tackled first?  My kitchen.  

Y'all!  There were things in my cupboard, I didn't even know I had.  Like, the pie plates got together with the cake pans and spawned more cake pans and pie plates!  I had no idea I had so much!  And muffin tins!  I could make muffins for the next two months!!  

How did I not know I had this stuff?  Because it was all tossed in various locations and covered with clutter.

So, I pulled everything out, wiped down the cupboards, and set about rearranging my kitchen so that everything is in a more logical spaces.   

I filled two bags for Goodwill. Two. Bags. That is just my kitchen.  I still have two closets, and a dresser to go through, not to mention my basement ... OY VEY, my basement!

So, yes. I was wrecked.  I am wrecked, but in a good way.  In the best possible way!  I have waaaaay too much stuff for one, single girl with a cat.  It's time to share the wealth and really think carefully about the stuff I might bring into this house in the future.  

Let the mutiny BEGIN!!! 

Comments

Popular Posts