Welcome 2016 ... a Rather Late Welcome, That Is

So, here we are, 11 days into the New Year, and I've finally decided it's time to write my annual New Years Blog.

Y'all.  Can we discuss how far behind I am on absolutely everything?

I swear that when I went in for knee surgery, my surgeon sucked out some brain cells while he was at it.  That must be why I can't seem to hold anything together.

Here's a synopsis of my life since the last time I blogged, which, can we discuss the last time I've blogged?  Let's not.  It's too embarrassing.

CHRISTMAS:
Christmas was wonderful!  After listening to absolutely everyone tell me that I went back to work too soon after my surgery, I am going to go on record as saying that I probably went back to work too early.  But y'all.  It was the last week of school ... before Christmas break ... and I teach 4th graders ... who were giddy about Christmas and Santa and all that stuff.  And sub plans!  Oh my word sub plans.  I just couldn't.

As a result, that last week was absolutely exhausting. Everything I did required energy I just didn't have.  So, my goal became just to survive until the end of that week.  If I could survive that week, I felt like I could make it through Christmas.

Well, I made it ... barely ... and it wasn't without numerous tearful break-downs along the way. I just couldn't wait until my family came together, and I didn't have to worry about deadlines or paperwork or anything crazy.  I could just hang out and be loved and love.

Christmas was such a blessing!  One of my favorite Christmas' on record because we just hung out and had a relaxing time. There was laughter, grumbling, eating, more laughter, sleeping, snoring, laying about, tv watching, movie watching, more grumbling, more laughter ... just all the stuff that families do.  I miss this time when we aren't all together!

And I rested.  Oh my word, I needed the rest!

NEW YEARS:
I began physical therapy.  You see, my knee wasn't bouncing back quite like it should, mainly because I went too long on two meniscus tears.  I pushed myself way too much ... was forced to push myself way too hard in some instances ... and as I result, I created massive damage in my knee.  The tears in my meniscus were easy to deal with; it was the arthritis I'd created that has been the sticking point.

The good news is that slowly but surely, I am regaining strength.  While I am not pain-free yet, my physical therapist says in time, I will be mostly pain-free.  I am sooooooo looking forward to that day, y'all. All the days. The pain free ones!

I rang in New Year like I have a lot of them recently ... sleeping until JUST before midnight, wherein I attempt to wake myself up enough to toast the new year and slurp some bubbly just before stumbling back off to bed.  It's pitiful, I know, but I am 43 years old. That's it.

I went back to school. Reality set in, and the hamster wheel has started back in earnest. However, I am trying, I really am trying, to find some time to rest and relax.  Partly because I need to find that time and partly because my physical therapist said I had to ... he's for realsies.

I don't have a ton of resolutions for this year.  I mean, let's face it.  I suck at resolutions.  I just want this year to be the one in which I finally find some balance in my life.

So, welcome 2016!  Welcome with your clean slate and scents of newness, freshness. I welcome you, if not just a tad on the late side.  I ask you to be gentle with me.  I am attempting to find my balance in all that you have to offer this year!


Comments

Popular Posts