HOME FROM VISITING HOME

I busted outta town just as soon as school was out.  Okay, maybe not AS SOON AS school was out.  In my infinite wisdom, I scheduled a dental appointment AND an allergist appointment the week after school as well as just having to deal with Closing Day activities.  However, as soon as I could, I packed up the car and the cat, and I busted a move to The Mitten State.

I needed room between me and this academic year.  I needed perspective.  I needed REST.

Y'all.  I LOVE my job.  I love every part of it.  But this was a hard year.  A good hard, but hard nonetheless.

At some point, I am going to work on school stuff.  However, right now?  Well, I needed to get out of town and re-calibrate.

So, I went home. I soaked up my parents' love and attention. I sat. I napped. I went to lunches and dinners.  I walked main street, and I sat on the deck and soaked up the sun.  I went to breakfast with a dear, sweet friend -- we picked up right where we left off (the beauty of sweet friends). I toured museums and beaches and wandered gift shops and junk shops and antique malls.

I hugged old friends and nodded at some enemies as well. 😁

It was good to be home.

Home is where the heart is ... home has nostalgia ... home has memories ... home has familiar scents and sights and sounds.

Home also provides perspective.

I remember years and years and years ago feeling like I was drowning ... like I was in a dead-end spot with no way out. I prayed for something different. I prayed for a new start. I had no idea how that was all going to happen, but I prayed for it. Then, without realizing, I was forced out, and I landed in Kentucky.

Eleven years later, this is home ... or my new home.  It's also where my heart is.  I have precious friends here, people who have adopted me into their families ... we've created new families ... I have a wonderful job that challenges me and frustrates me and fulfills me and makes me want to be a better person every single day.

It was a bittersweet day leaving Michigan.  It always is.  Yet, I was excited about getting home to Kentucky.

I am now rested and relaxed and ready to spend the summer, short as it is, recharging, doing things I want to do, digging into my hobbies, living in the moment, and just being.

I am home from visiting home.

It is always good to go home.

Comments

Popular Posts