FOCUSING ON THE GOOD, THE GRATITUDE, THE GRACE

So, I recently read how a blogger decided to spend a year blogging each day about the happy moments in her life.  Each day, she would focus not on the crazy, insane parts ... the moments that dig into our skin and fester ... nope!  She decided she was going to focus on those areas of her day that were bright and sunny.

I don't suppose she did this to provide a false sense of her life to her readers.  Rather, I think she chose to focus on the positive ... a glass half full ... rather than focus on an empty glass.

Something about that resonated with me. In life, especially with social media, it is so easy to focus on the negative. Some would have you believe that is the only way to look at life. However, when I focus on the negative ... when I spend all my time fussing over those little things ("they don't appreciate me," "that Starbucks barista sure is sloooow," "my time isn't respected," "if he only learned to do it my way," "no one works harder than me," "I feel worthless in their eyes," ... you get my point), I fail to see those bright spots in my day that were true gems.

I don't know, honestly, if I can swing an every day blog entry.  I'm not sure if there is enough in my life that would be interesting to blog about, but I suppose therein lies the problem.  I am not spending enough time appreciating those small moments.

No time like the present, right!?

Today, I woke up in my parents' house.

I know. It seems so anti-climatic, right?  To an outsider, it would be.  However, an outsider doesn't know how long my parents have wanted to move closer to my sister and I ... how long they've dreamed of having a warmer winters (so what happened to this winter with the single digit temperatures??? I'm convinced they drug that nonsense down here with them!) ... how long they've wanted a change of scenery and change of pace.

In November -- Thanksgiving Weekend, to be exact -- they saw that dream turn into reality. So, waking up in my parents' house, HERE IN KENTUCKY, was a big deal! It was the turn of a page, I sometimes thought would never happen.

So, waking up on New Years Day, in my parents' new house, with the sun shining on our Ole Kentucky Home was a fabulous way to ring in 2018!

I can't wait to see how this new year, with all its memories yet to be made, will unfold!

Comments

Popular Posts