LOOKING FOR THOSE DIAMONDS

My evenings are often a frenetic sprint to the finish line ... the finish line being my bed, let's be honest here. 

They are chaotic juggling acts of getting dinner made and making it balanced (that, sadly, hasn't happened in a while -- but tomorrow is a clean slate, no?), getting some form of physical activity (in this case, swimming) into the day, while adding all the domestic duties that I must get completed. 

In the helter-skelter jumble that is my evening life, I more often than not miss those little moments. 

Say what, you ask? 

You know, the little moments! Those fleeting points in time that seem so inconsequential but hold so much in their tiny time frames. More times than not, I find I must remind myself that when I get to the end -- whenever the end is -- I won't be dwelling on the monumental spots on my timeline. Rather, I am relatively certain, I will relish those flashes of time filled with so much beauty and brilliance. 

What is it with modern life that we spend more of our time on this hamster wheel sort of life, and we never take time to sit in wonder or sit AND wonder? 

This evening was no different than most ... a crazed rush to get garbage out to the curb, calls to be made, dinner to be prepped, dishes to be dealt with ... it was a whirlwind of activity that spun me toward my front window with the specific mission of shutting my drapes. Only, as I reached for the drapes, my eyes were drawn to my front yard. The street light had just kicked on. The street light cast its glow on the snow, causing my entire yard to sparkle. 

It was a brilliant display!  Suddenly, the dishes, the clutter, and allllll the items on my TO DO list, paled in comparison to the dancing diamond show in my front yard. And so I stood watching the shimmering, wondering at all the colors I saw gleaming off the pure, undisturbed snow. 

Sometimes, the most important thing ceases to be the most important thing. Sometimes, taking a minute to be silent and breath through a moment is the best use of time. It's in those pauses in time that you end up finding the most precious diamonds.



Comments

Popular Posts