PATHS ... LABELS ... LIFE

I've been thinking a lot about paths recently.

Paths I've taken.

Paths I should have taken.

Paths I'm glad I didn't take.

We all take paths in life.

There are paths I am so glad I took.  They've led me to places I never dreamed I would go and to people I never dreamed I would meet.

But there are other paths I've stumbled upon that I really wished I could get off of.

I've been thinking a lot about labels, too.

Some labels we get are good ones ... they provide edification and validation.

Some labels are hurtful and horrible and ugly.

Some are truthful.  Some are false.

Some are truthful but hurtful and horrible and ugly ... all rolled into one.

I received a label this week that was very hurtful and ugly and horrible, but sadly, it was truthful.  I did not want to admit it. I have fought to admit it for a while now. But it is what it is, and I need to just recognize that in this case, the path I took led me to this place.

I wasn't as vigilant as I should have been.  I wasn't as motivated as I should have been. I didn't care as much I should have cared. I gave up....I threw my hands up and waved the white flag.

The thing about paths, though ... I can choose to go down a path ... or not choose.  I have the power to go either way.

Of course, one path requires discipline and motivation.  The other path requires laziness. No one likes discipline.  Discipline is a fun sucker.  So, I chose laziness. That took me down a path I never should have gotten on ...

Thing of it is, I do not like this path, and I do not like this label! I want rid of the label and rid of this path.

Life ... it's a series of choices and paths that lead to adventures and learning experiences and heartaches and hills and valleys. I'm making a new road map. And so I am forging a new path with what I can only assume will be many twists and turns and bumps in the road. But forge ahead I will, because I do not like this new label. I do not like being known in this way, and I have the choice!


Comments

Popular Posts