ESCAPING


This photograph appeals to me on so many levels.

First, as a child, I've always wanted a tree house. I poured over tree house plans that my Dad had picked up somewhere a long the way, and I dreamt of having an escape for my childhood imagination.

However, this also appeals to my adult sensibilities -- the ones that tell me that in order to truly turn it off, I need to escape somewhere.

What is it that I need to turn off? My teacher brain. That part of my brain that tells me that I have a myriad of things to do, and they must all be done as soon as is humanly possible.

I am not sure when the last time was that I truly turned my brain off.

I've just been sitting here staring off into the vacuous space that is my living room and beyond ... nope, I can't think of the last time I've truly just said, "I'm not going to think about school."

Day trips?  Nope. The last few I've been on, I've thought about picking this or that up for my classroom!

Time spent here at home?  Nope. I've looked at books I've brought home from school ... and articles I need to read ... teacher blog posts that I follow (and am woefully behind on) ... professional reading that will keep me busy from now until the end of time ...

Nope. There isn't any turning it off on the horizon.

What I need ... what I crave is a place like this ... far, far away, where I can park it with my laptop or a pile of books, and just lose myself in a world not of my making.

Anyone else feeling the same way right now?

Comments

Popular Posts