IN MY OWN HEAD



Raise your hand if you finish a book series (or just a book) and want to know what happens next?

Any one?

Do you binge watch a series on Amazon Prime or Netflix and then "live with the characters in your head" for a while because they are all too good to let go?

No one?

I'm the only one?

I am sealing my fate in the WEIRDO category, aren't I?

I just finished a series I'd watched two thirds of the way through a million years ago.

Okay, so not a million years ago, but it seems that way sometimes.  I mean, who is this old woman staring back at me in the mirror any way????

So, I finished this old TV series (on DVD, no less!), and it was a period piece of sorts, and I cannot stop my head from working out the "what's next" scenarios. I have been living with these characters for weeks now, and, now that I've completed the series, I am having a hard time letting them all go because I want to know what happens to them all. I want them all to be okay ... and happy ... and fulfilled.

And so I create stories in my head of their lives past the series.

I sound like I need to be institutionalized ... I mean, who does that!?!?!?

It's okay. I can admit it. It's weird.

However! I have been reassured as of late that this is all very normal, so there!  Writers often create worlds in their minds that quite possibly will find their way onto paper.

But the stories start in their heads.

Y'all, I have created entire worlds in my head. And this just didn't happen. I've been doing it since I was a very young child.

Worlds to solve the problems that in my reality can not seem to be solved. I mean, if the world would just listen to what I have going on in my head!

There are worlds to escape from stupid people. Y'all, I have such an intolerance for stupid people. I just cannot.

I have crafted worlds for escape ...

Worlds where people don't look at the color of your skin or the weight on your body or the age of your life ...

Escapism?  Probably.

But I'll tell ya one thing and that ain't two, I can control what happens in the worlds in my head. And control is the name of the game.  I fight for it constantly. And that can be both a good fight as well as a bad one.

I can control what the characters say and how they behave and what they think and how they act.

So, it's sorta like The Truman Show in my mind...and maybe some day on paper ...


Comments

Popular Posts