Monday, December 30, 2019


And so it begins .... all the flowery crap that people post on social media all about how they are going to check off their Resolution To Do Lists ... blah, blah, blah.

Oh!  I'm sorry. Sounds like I have a bad attitude about it, doesn't it?  Well, you would be correct! I do!  We all say a bunch of stuff we're going to do, but then life happens. If you're me, life happens, and I spend the rest of my year trying to get on the right side of things after having been turned upside down or inside out or both.

And lets not forget the hefty helping of guilt I feel for having failed once again, while Sally Sunshine over there is knocking Achieving All Her Resolutions All At Once out of the proverbial park and Danny Determined is taking selfies left and right and posting them for all to see because he has got this goal setting stuff on lock.

I mean, good for you if you can do that sort of thing. I just know making it public doesn't do me a bit of good. I am still going to fail miserably.

Not for nothing, but I was guilty of such nonsense in my own past as well. You could comb the archives of this blog to find all sorts of flowery things that I was going to do and never did.

I'm older and wiser and crabbier and more hermit-like. I've learned a few things.

  • Comparison is the thief of joy. So, I'm going to work my fat fanny off to make sure I fight the need to compare myself to anyone on social media. Because, let's be honest here, you and I both know that they aren't showing the REAL story. Not one bit of it. 
  • There are a million moments in a day -- give or take -- and I fear I miss a lot of them looking at allllll the perfect lives on social media. So, I'm going to look at a few more sunsets  and smell of few more roses and look at a few less of your new outfit/house/car/designer dog/Christmas haul/perfect family photos/fill in the blank. Harsh?  Maybe. Ask me if I care. 
  • Self-care, while quite a buzz word these days, is soooo very important. I need to be more cognizant of it and practice it with a bit more fidelity. 
So, you do you, Boo. Go ahead and make those resolutions, and conquer them ... or not. I don't care. I'll be over here living .... taking each day as it comes, working to be as present as I can be. 

Comments

Popular Posts