A LOVE AFFAIR

I have a love affair ... with coffee.

Yes, it's true, and, yes, it may just be a bit on the pitiful side, but I do have a long-standing relationship with coffee.

I suppose it could be said that this affair began in my youth with the sweet aroma of the sacred liquid permeating the morning air at my house. However, I think that would be a bit of a cop out ... to blame such an obsession on someone else. If there's one thing I know, it's that one should never, ever try to pass the buck when dealing with an addiction. That's the first step to recovery.

Only ... I don't want to recover. I am very content in my utter lack of control where coffee is concerned! I LOVE MY COFFEE!

I must also admit something else, while I've meandered down this path. I'm a bit of a coffee snob. Cheap versions of coffee will not do (okay, maybe in a pinch, but it had better be a pretty big pinch!). I am completely sold on expensive versions that would cause a normal, relatively logical person to scoff. I like a stiff, bold mug of java. I love all the silly coffee accessories. I see nothing wrong with sipping mug after delicious mug of the glorious elixir in a hip coffee bar or bookstore! And please! Let's not ruin it with countless sugar substitute packets and endless amounts of cream. I guess you could say that I'm a coffee purist.

Yes, I'm smitten! Just ask anyone. I suppose it became all too clear for me when, last year, my students would follow me around with my misplaced coffee mug thermos, and say, "UH, you left this on my desk." The coffee was an extension of my hand. They would begin to question what kind of day we would all have if they didn't see coffee in my general vicinity.

"No coffee today?" My little third graders would ask, after scoping the entire room, they came up empty.

"No, I'm trying to cut back." Occasionally, I would become health conscious.

My statement was always met with a dramatic eye roll. Turns out, they knew better than I. The pull of the coffee was too much for me, and I would succumb.

Hello, my name is Megan, and I'm a coffeeholic ...

Comments

Popular Posts