I NEED TO TAKE A MOMENT

I need to take a moment ... I just received some shocking news ... my cousin, Kasey has just announced to me three things:

  1. She is driving (I'm ever so grateful we live two states apart ... otherwise, I do believe I would be investing in some sort of crash helmet device).
  2. She has a summer job (the last vesitages of childhood are slowly dissolving away).
  3. She has a boyfriend, and he's the sweetest, most gentlemanly thing since sliced bread (insert screeching brakes sound here!).

Kasey and I go way back. I spent the summer after college graduation nannying her and her little sister, Tamry. Those girls were a riot! Kasey was three at the time, and I still remember taking her for "nature walks" almost on a daily basis. We looked for "tones" and pine cones and bugs and other random crap on the sidewalk, that her grandfather would have probably fainted dead away if he knew I was letting her pick it all up.

We went to the library all the time, and I can still see her trying to pull EVERY book off the shelf, even after I reminded her, "no, we're only getting five. Let's count them again ... one -- two -- three --"

One of my best memories, by far, was the day we walked downtown. The Kalamazoo River cuts through the heart of the downtown area, and, as was the case this day, it is not uncommon to see a Great Blue Heron or two, wandering the shallow waters, searching for a light snack. We stood watching it, and I leaned over and whispered, "Kasey, that bird is called a Great Blue Heaven."

She just stood there giggling.

We then walked over to my parents' insurance agency to say hello, and I said to her, "Hey Kasey, tell Aunt Jan what we just saw."

With all of her 3-year old excitement, she exclaimed, "Aunt Jan! We just saw a Great Blue Heaven!"

To this day, whenever I see a heron, I think of that day.

Another vivid memory of Kasey was her first day of preschool. Her mother had told me that, if I felt game, I could try to wrestle her into a dress for her first day of school ... but only if I felt up to it.

I must pause for a moment and tell you that Kasey has always been a tom-boy. She loved sports, still does. And she's great at them. The girl loves b-ball and soccer ... she eats, lives, and breathes those games.

The last thing Kasey ever wanted to be wrestled into was a dress. But like an idiot, I tried. I did it up right, too. I put her in a dress, tights, cute little Mary Jane shoes ... she was A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E.

So, there she is ... standing in front of me, looking at herself, with these pitifully, downcast eyes. Then she looked up at me, and her bottom lip started to quiver, and I swear, she looked as though I'd just run over her cat!

The dress and tights came off and were replaced with a sweatshirt and jeans. The girl partically skipped to my car!

So, you can imagine my surprise, when I logged onto her webpage and saw her IN. A. DRESS. WITH. MAKE. UP. ON. AND. HER. HAIR. ALL. .... GIRLIE!

I'm reminded of a song ... TIMES, THEY ARE A CHANGIN' ...

And I'm pretty sure I can hear my sister saying, "Yeah, and you just keep getting older, too!"

Comments

Anonymous said…
I cried my eyes out yesterday at graduation. My niece whom I babysat is now an adult...Holy crap did that give me a reality check!!!!!!!!!!!
neecee
Megan said…
I know! Isn't it scary? I don't feel THIS OLD! I still feel like I am in my early 20s.

Popular Posts