LET THE LITTLE GIRL OUT

I can't say as I had the best birthday ever. It wasn't the worst, but I've certainly had better.

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy to be here on Earth another year, relatively healthy and happy.

It's just ... well, deep down inside, I'm an eight year old little girl that wakes up on the day of her birthday, giddy with excitement at the prospect of just being special for one day.

So I woke up on the day of my 36th birthday, excited for the opportunity of sharing a birthday dinner with friends and just being PRINCESS FOR THE DAY.

Mother Nature quickly peed on that parade.

An ice storm hit Central Kentucky sending us home from school early and prompting the cancellation of my birthday dinner.

I spent my birthday nursing a sore throat ... AGAIN. My birthday dinner was a cold pizza, delivered two hours after I'd ordered.

BAH HUMBUG!

Of course, it wasn't like the birthday when I was in sixth or seventh grade, and I'd invited 7 or 8 girls to an overnight at my house. My mom even made an ice cream cake for me, which, I guess is no small feat when you do that from scratch. No one showed up. I tried not to let it show, but I was heartbroken that no one wanted to come to my sleep over.

No, this wasn't the same.

Well, so what! At some point, the world stops revolving around us. We grow up and realize that life is bigger than the boundaries of our little lives. Still, it's nice to feel special for just one day ...

I did receive a beautiful bouquet of flowers from Cindy, which was a complete surprise and most gratefully appreciated. Thank you for the serenade, Cindy. You and Caroline should take that act on the road!

Erin, got me a coffee mug, a Starbucks card, and Starbucks chocolates. Does that girl know me or what?

Dad and Mom, the khakis came today, and I love them! I think they will look great ... I might have to exchange sizes though.

Denise, thank you so much for the card. You are a dear! You are always so thoughtful with cards at all the best times. I love ya, girl!

36 ... well, it definitely came in with a bang. I do know this ... despite the ice, I am loved and am Princess in the eyes of those that love me most!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Happy B-day to you (belated).....I too am one of those who thinks the world should revolve around the fact that I am having a b-day.

2-E
Anonymous said…
OH MY GOD MEG......I suck!!! I am soooo sorry. Happy belated birthday!! ~Shanny

Popular Posts