That's what friends are for

I'm showing my age here, but many, many moons ago, my childhood best friend gave me a record by Dionne Warwick and friends called THAT'S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR. Seems to me Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson sang on the track, but I can't be sure. I mean, we're talking records here. You know? Those flat, vinyl discs with lots of ridges played on a circular do-whacky that spun round and round? It was one step up from two tin cans and a string.

Whatever. Mandy gave that record to me, and I must have worn that thing out playing it over and over again. I just loved the lyrics -- they seemed to ring true to our little friendship back then.

I was reminded of that song last night when Carrie came to my rescue and talked me off my proverbial ledge. Let's face it, the girl could talk butter into melting, but then again, she'd probably say the same thing about me. Ummm ... think she has. Last night, I needed her, and she was there.

I've been working my tail off ... to the point that I am so overwhelmed most of the time that I've ended up spinning my wheels and going no where fast. Of course, this little act of futility gets me no where except pissed off at the world, gloves on, and ready to go down to the bitter end.

I left a desperate albeit rambling message on Carrie's voice mail, and bless her heart, she called me back. And the words "...in good times, and bad times, I'll be right there by your side, cuz that's what friends are for..." She listened to me whine. She listened to my cry. Shoot! She listened to me whine AND cry all in one, strung together jumble of incoherent hiccups and phrases. Then she stopped me and said ...
  1. You are trying to do too many things at once. What has to be done immediately? Leave the other stuff for later.
  2. Why do you doubt your abilities? Why are you believing the lies you tell about yourself? Shut up and do what you know you CAN do!
  3. Go back to the basics. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel.
  4. Work smarter not harder. This last one sorta annoys me, but I'm giving it to her on account of she talked me off the ledge and stuff.
The girl is brilliant, and I owe her a drink ... or some sour cream and chive fries ... next time I see her!

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are too sweet!! If I was still blogging I would write about you, you have talked me off the ledge plenty of time. I don't remember sayins work smarter not harder...I hate that one too.

Popular Posts