HOLIDAYS, NEW YEAR, AND OTHER THINGS I'M MULLING OVER

My mom informed me the other day that, "You've not been writing on your blog lately."

She's right.  I've not.  I wish I had a good excuse other than the one I'm getting ready to lay on you ==>  I haven't really had a lot to write about.  Least ways, nothing funny or interesting or, well, anything.

But, I suppose, with the new year (HOLY CRAP!  How is it 2015 already!?!?!), I should attempt to turn over a new leaf, so to speak ... or turn a blank page, which, honestly, has been the problem up to this point ... a big, fat, blank page.

Being that it's the second day of the New Year (why start anything on the first day, right?), I decided to rectify this situation.  So, the first thing I did was head over to the 2014 blog roll to see what I'd written for New Years Resolutions/Goals.  Not only did I confirm that, yes, in fact, my mother was right, I hadn't written much (only 47 entries for 2014!?!), I didn't bother to create any resolutions or goals for the year.

Yep.

That pretty much typifies my 2014.

2014 was ... how do I put this ... hmmm ... errrr ... it was the year of BLAAAAAAAH.  I didn't have a plan, or much of one anyways.  I didn't have much of a motivation to do anything ... I didn't have what my grandmother use to call SPIZZERRINKTEM.  Not.  One.  Iota.

Nada.

Nothing.

Zip.

Zero.

I did lay out a goal of READING SOME BOOKS, and I am pleased to announce that I have, in fact, met that goal.  I have, dear readers, read some books in 2014.  The discovery of the Kindle app has opened up my competitive reading nature, and I find myself very willing and motivated to read!  I was a Kindle hold out.  Ask anyone.  I was a die hard, book purist, but you all!  The Kindle app!  I can't even ....

So, yay for me for reaching a goal.

I debated creating goals for 2015.  All the usual culprits came to mind:

  • Getting down to my goal weight
  • Smiling more
  • Reading more
  • More fun adventures
  • More me time
  • Save more money
  • Save more time 
  • More, more, more ... 
Then it occurred to me, where all epiphanies occur to me, in the shower, that all these goals, resolutions, things I want to do, but usually end up failing at ... all of these things are wrapped up in a word.  A vocabulary word, if you will.  

As teachers, we hear lots and lots and lots AND LOTS of stuff about building vocabulary, and how building the foundation becomes the the key to success in comprehending content.  

It stands to reason that allllllll the many things I would like to accomplish in 2015 are all wrapped into and intertwined with this one, singular word.  

It seems fitting then that I put a word out there in the universe ... the New Years Cosmos ... a vocabulary word that will become my theme or mantra or encapsulation of the year, if you will.

So, I bet you are wondering what the word is, right?

I give you ..... 

DISCIPLINE!



Now, I know what you are thinking.  "Eeeeeewwwwww!"

You'd be right.  Discipline can be a Eeeeeeeewwww sorta thing.

See, here's the deal.  We've made it Eeeeeewwwwww!

Discipline, in it's truest form, is actually a good thing.

It's discipline that requires us to get up in the morning, on time, and ready, for the most part, to head to work.  It is discipline that drives us to do our jobs well, to work to achieve greater things and move up the ranks.   It's discipline that drives us to do yard work  ...  to want to do better for ourselves and our families ... it's discipline that moves us to achieve.

I can trace all those times that I didn't achieve what I wanted to back to my lack of discipline.

It really is that simple.

So, for 2015, allllllll 363 days of it now, I plan to work on discipline.  One of the things that I discovered today was that I needed to work on the discipline of just putting things where they go!  My room.  The mess.  I can't even .... you all.  I.  there. are. no. words.

New Year -- Clean Slate -- DISCIPLINE, y'all!


Comments

Popular Posts