ON BEING ONE OF THE GREATS

I long ago realized I was never going to earn any TEACHER OF THE YEAR accolades. There's a certain type of person that gets that award. I'm not that person. In fact, I am probably the antithesis of such a person. Let's be honest here, I am not adorable. I don't have a cute little life with cute little kids and a handsome husband. I'm not academically creative. I struggle with statistics, and data and I don't always get along. 

What do I have? I have a cat, and she could care less about following any direction in this house.

Furthermore, I really try not to call attention to myself. I don't create flashy lessons. I don't toot my horn to any one. I do what I have to do, and I try to do it to the best of my abilities, despite what others might think.

I strive to make sure my students learn, and my greatest desire is for them to discover the joy of reading and writing. Sometimes, I think I make that happen. Other times, wellllll, I look in the mirror and ask myself where I went wrong ... when did I take that wrong turn???

It's been a discouraging last couple of weeks, and the more I tried to find the good in the day ... the beauty in the day ... the things to be grateful for in the day ... the more I would find myself wondering what in the heck I was doing anyway!

Today, I received an email from a parent.  It was your normal, every day email with parent and teacher give and take. Nothing super special about it.

I answered the parent's questions, and that parent responded accordingly.

But then the parent ended the reply with this: "Thanks for being one of the greats in [my child's] life."

I don't feel like "a great." I feel like I am constantly being reminded of all the things at which I am failing miserably.  To be considered some one's greats?  Well, it doesn't feel like it fits, you know?

And yet, it was a bright spot in my day.  It left me smiling....and smiling is a good thing.

So, here's to the Greats in our lives! May they always be great in the little things of life!

Comments

Popular Posts