GETTING THE STEPS IN

Kentucky Employees Health Plan is sponsoring a fitness initiative through Virgin Health Miles. For a discounted rate, we can purchase a pedometer that will download our steps into an account each day. If you meet certain step goals each month, you could win cash prizes, and let's face it. Who doesn't like winning cash prizes?

So, I decided to jump on the bandwagon.

One of my kids spied the pedometer yesterday, and, in the middle of class, asked, "Is that your MP3 player, Miss Murray?" And I mean, who wouldn't multi-task like that, right? Considering I can't walk and chew gums most days, not me!

I told the class what it was and explained that Miss Murray was trying to be healthier and be more fit. That explanation, of course, snow-balled into the "well, what's your goal, Miss Murray" conversation. So, I thought, "why not!" I told them that I was trying to walk 10,000 steps each day, and I invited anyone who wanted to help me earn more steps, to join me at recess for a couple of laps around the playground.

Surprisingly, I had a few kids join me, and as we walked by a few 5th graders, they asked what we were doing.

One of my girls, who happens to be the daughter of a colleague and friend, shot back, "Oh we're helping Miss Murray earn points for her thermometer!"

I guess I'm doing that as well!

Comments

Elly Gilbert said…
You gotta send that to Reader's Digest...kinda like when A and I were reading See Inside Your Body and she pointed out the lungs, heart, and the large and small CONTESTANTS...

Popular Posts