ASSIMILATION

It's happening, and it seems that I am powerless to stop it. I am slowly turning into a southern girl. You want proof, you say?

My dear friend Denise and I were on the phone the other night, and I dared to say to her, "I miss all you all."

Immediately, I knew what I'd done, and so I said, rather sheepishly, "I can't believe I just said that."

Denise's response? She laughed ... OUT LOUD!

Then, I realized yesterday, I was calling my kids, "Baby." In the south, when you are talking to a child, you might say, "What do you want, Baby?"

In the north, you are more than likely considered a pervert if you do that!

It was with shock that it dawned on me, "OH MY GOSH!! I have been using BABY with my kids!"

Good glory! The assimilation is beginning!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
LOL, we'll We all miss you too. Southern or not baby! ~Shanny
Elly Gilbert said…
Did you say "you all" as two words or "y'all" as one? There is a different. You all means all of you. Y'all can mean that too, but it can be singular, somehow. I didn't put that in my singular/plural word sort, though. And, if you hear your self saying any of the following, you'll know it is true: honey, darlin', sugar.
Megan said…
Crap, Elly! I've said honey and darlin'!! OH MY GOSH!! It IS happening. NOw that I think about it, I think I did say it, "ya'll" ... good glory? Is it due to all the sweet tea I've been drinking?

Popular Posts