I BLAME THIS ALL ON MY FATHER

I've spent the better part of an hour trying to mapquest directions to Blue Licks State Resort.

It's not that they don't have directions on their site. They do. But their directions are from the vantage point of "highway driving." I know, empirically, that there is a way to get from here to there without having to travel on the interstate, and I've wasted a good portion of my early morning trying to figure this out!

Of course, I blame this completely on my father! For as long as I've known the man, he's tried his best to find scenic by-ways to take ... picking his way across back roads and getting from Point A to Point B in a round-about fashion. I know part of it is that his photographic eye is looking for something more appealing than cornfields and rest stops. The other part of it is that he loathes highway driving these days.

Still, the irrational obsession for finding an alternative route has followed to this half of the next generation. I LOVE traveling back roads, and it really doesn't matter to me that it might take twice as long to get there. As long as I can find gas stations and food, I'm good! Back road driving takes a very interesting turn (pun intended) when driving the by-ways of Kentucky, as there never really is any direct route from Point A to Point B. In fact, Point A might never get you to Point B. Rather, you might find yourself twisting and turning until you finally land on Point Z-2 version 8.1!

At this point in the morning, I'm very much considering purchasing the County Maps of Kentucky at our local bookstore. This should give me a bird's eye view of any alternative routes, and I'm convinced there is one!

I might also want to plan on leaving much earlier than originally intended tomorrow ... just to make sure I've given myself plenty of time to back-track ... should the need arise ....

Comments

Mom ( the navigator) said…
and take food and water! instead maybe do it on your way home-not on the way there, particularly if you have some time constraints.(that little tidbit from your father) AND remember, any time you see a little hitch in the road on the map of kentucky - it means HAIRPIN TURN and NO GUARD RAILS

Popular Posts