ALL HAIL TO THOSE THAT SERVE(D)

A number of months back ... quite possibly, close to a year ago ... my father got word from Veteran's Affairs, that my grandfather would be receiving the Bronze Star posthumously. Then he got another confirmation that perhaps it wouldn't be the Bronze Star, but some other honor bestowed upon my grandfather for valor in combat or meritorious service ... it was all so confusing.

Then, about a month ago, my dad got the call that he could go to the Veteran's Affairs office in Battle Creek, Michigan, that the award was there. He could pick it up any time.

Guess what?

It was, indeed, the Bronze Star!

We don't know, at this point, why the Bronze Star was given to Grandpa ... the records are sketchy, and it takes months and months and months to get the slightest bit of confirmation as to the reasons for such an award. All we know at this point is that he was awarded it, and we're all very proud of him for it.

Grandpa never talked about his 18 months in the Pacific Campaign. In my lifetime, he'd only mentioned it in passing ... a snippet here, a quick Camp Roberts story there. But to discuss, for any length of time, his tour in the Philippines and Japan (his company was one of the first to land in Japan post-atomic bomb), he just wouldn't ... ever.

As an adult, I asked my grandmother if I could see the letters Grandpa wrote her when he was over there ... surely she'd saved them. They might make an amazing story I could write. "Your grandfather made me burn them when he got home," she said quietly.

"Grandpa!" I was sad and shocked by this. "Why did you do that? What a legacy to have?"

He got agitated and replied, "Why would I want that crap as a reminder lying around. Not much of a legacy."

I never asked him again. Clearly, some wounds never really heal ...

As I remember my grandfather during my childhood, I remember him as a quiet, reserved man. He kept his feelings in check for the most part. What I didn't realize was that he was a living hero in our midst, and he never let on to any of us. Not once ... More than likely, he didn't think of himself as one nor would he have cared to take that title on ...

This Veterans Day, while our entire fourth grade leads the attendees at the Veterans Day Ceremony here in Frankfort in the Pledge of Allegiance, I will be thinking of my grandpa and his unwavering service to this country ... I will be thinking about all of our servicemen and women around the world right now, sacrificing for the freedoms I enjoy every single day of my life ... I will be quietly thanking them all ...

Comments

Popular Posts