FINDING A PART OF MY CHILDHOOD

Ann and I were at an antique store a few weeks back, and we discovered a box in the shape of a Dickens' Village house. It made us stop and think about the paper village we had as children, and we both agreed it would be fun to find that again.
I remember getting it when I was very young, and I remember my dad punching out all the cardboard pieces for me, as well as assembling them ... and I remember them sitting on the coffee table and underneath the Christmas tree ... and I remember having an absolute blast playing with all the people and houses as Christmas music compilation records (handed out every Christmas by Southeastern Michigan Gas Company or Corning Glass or one of those companies) played on the stereo turntable.


Welcome to my warm fuzzy feelings of Christmas!

And then I'm jet-propelled, head-long into Christmases past with mom's glittery snowflakes and giraffes on the tree along side glass baubles that, for those that have survived the years and moves, still hang on their more recent trees. And I remember green Christmas wreath cookies on Christmas Eve, and houses filled with family and Christmas cooking smells and presents and just warm and happy feelings. I remember fruit cake, that I still don't like, and Liebkooken (sure I didn't spell that correctly) and garland and fires in the fire place and snowy days and toasty nights and skiing and hot chocolate and the anticipation of a merry surprise from Santa on Christmas morning!

I just love Christmas!



Comments

Popular Posts