42 MORE TO GO

THE FRIDAY NIGHT KNITTING CLUB
by Kate Jacobs

What can I say about this book? It got great reviews. It was a popular book club selection. So, I was really looking forward to reading it. However, when I picked it up, it was right when I was going through all the Ted and Ned Nodules "stuff," and girls in my book club advised me to wait on reading that until AFTER the surgery and subsequent "ALL'S CLEAR" from the doctor.

The only problem is that it when I finally did start the book, it took FOREVER to get to the entire point of the book, which was in the last 1/4 of the book, and by that time, it had gotten sort of sad and sappy (okay, I admit it, I cried), and I was sorta left wondering why her editor told her to keep in ALL of superfluous stuff.

Okay, okay, it was a book, at the heart of it, about women and their relationships and their interconnectedness despite crazy-different backgrounds. It was a celebration of women and tradition and rites of passage and a celebration of those time-honored circles we gather in to unite and coexist and all that jazz. So, okay, yes, it took a while to weave every one's story into the overall theme, but I just wasn't digging it.

Maybe, if I had read it during the whole Ted and Ned Nodule time period, it might have made it more relevant.

Read it for yourself and then let me know if I was too harsh ... all wet ... or just plain ambivalent.

Comments

Popular Posts