SHADOWS OF THE PAST

Ghosts float around me today ... resurrected from what turns out to be a pretty shallow grave. I say good bye to the essence of things dreamed and hopes birthed. It's hard to let go of those precious hopes and desires held so dear, so close. I mourn their passing ...

The spirits of those dreams swirl around me in ethereal dance, and I must bid them good bye. I accept them for what they are ... intangible fantasy ... not gritty reality.

Am I throwing up my hands in a sense of surrender? No. Certainly, I dream and hope like anyone, and I understand that with hard work, dreams do become reality. However, it's when we accept which day-dreams are feasible and which are given life only in a dimension opposite of true life, that we can deal with the ache of a heart broken.

God reveals life in bits and snatches ... is it so we can savor each bite? Or is it because, if He didn't, we would be unable to handle the sensory overload? I can't answer those questions.

Whatever the reason, we spend too much time trying to understand the actions of others, and, in doing that, we miss the blessings of the moment. We miss it because we become consumed with analyzing the "why" of the situation?

So I live with the understanding of ghosts milling about the debris of my life, but I can no longer live among them ... they're shadows of a past.

Comments

Popular Posts