RESONANCE

As I sit here typing, Creed songs are blaring from my computer speakers ... and when I say blaring, I mean Miracle Ear candidacy, ringing in the ears, hard-core, rock-n-roll blaring!

I'm so bummed they broke up. Yes, this is a slightly delayed reaction to their break up, especially in light of the fact that it occured in 2004.

At any rate, their lyrics have such resonance in my life right now ... they rock my soul to it's very core (to borrow a well-used phrase from a very recent episode of reality TV drivel I shamefully I admit I stayed up to watch).

I find myself, as of late, questioning my purpose in this world. We all do this at some point in our lives ... some of us at many points in our lives. It's normal. But for me, the big questions that, when it's all stripped away, become the basic questions, nag at me with such urgency that they keep me up at night ... what the heck am I really supposed to do and be? Why am I taking up space on planet Earth?

Loaded questions ... yes! Loaded answers to those questions ... ummm ... NO! I want to be so much more than a little drip in a tiny mud puddle. I want, desparately to be a big, continuous ripple in the sea of humanity. I can't help but wonder how I can possibly ripple in my four walls in a tiny little map dot on a big, fat, expansive globe.

It feels, sometimes, like I have one last breath, and man, I want to use it wisely, cuz it feels like it's the last one I'm going to be able to take. And I feel like I'm at the edge of a precipice ... and the rock is crumbling slowly at my feet ... and any minute, it's going to break away and send me sailing into the oblivion of space and time ... if that happens, what is the footprint I leave behind ...

I don't have DNA that I'm passing on ... I don't have the great love of another that weaves me to him, creating a life of one ... all I have is this one last breath and I want it to have resonance ...

ONE LAST BREATH
Sung by Creed
Please come now I think I'm falling/I'm holding to all I think is safe/
It seems I found the road to nowhere/And I'm trying to escape/
I yelled back when I heard thunder/
But I'm down to one last breath/And with it let me say/Let me say
Hold me now/I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking/
That maybe six feet/Ain't so far down
I'm looking down now that it's over/Reflecting on all of my mistakes/I thought I found the road to somewhere/Somewhere in His grace/I cried out heaven save me/But I'm down to one last breath/And with it let me say/Let me say
Hold me now/I'm six feet from the edge and I'm thinking/
That maybe six feet/Ain't so far down
Sad eyes follow me/But I still believe there's something left for me/
So please come stay with me'/
Cause I still believe there's something left for you and me/
For you and me/For you and me


Comments

Popular Posts