GLUTTONY AND GREED

We as Americans are accused of much. Sometimes, I just don't see it. Rather, it feels like a case of "I wish I had what they had" syndrome. Although, after a recent trip to Sam's Club, I gotta admit, I think I will vote in the affirmative for an American society full of gluttony and greed.

I went to buy some supplies that I volunteered to pick up for a retirement party. As MY luck would have it, they didn't have any of it! While I was there, I decided to see what they had in the way of strawberries (my latest obsession). I turned the corner and entered FOOD HELL (insert booming, scary, echoey voice here).

The Sample Ladies were out in force as were the greedy Sam's Club shoppers that decided to eat lunch there rather than whip something up at home! People pushed and shoved and cursed and threatened, all for a miniscule sample of Bourbon Street Salmon and Pizza Rolls. I was absolutely disgusted by the whole thing.

"I will no longer lower myself to such a baseless display of gluttony!" I said to myself as I wheeled my cart in line to get a discount soda and giant pretzel!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have an absolute aversion to eating free samples in public places where people with horrid manners cough, sneeze and who knows what else!
Megan said…
Oy my gosh! Yes! I completely agree!

My sister and I were at a favorite cheese factory a year ago, happily sampling cheeses ... that was until we saw the guy ahead of us using the same toothpick he had just put in his mouth to stab a few more cheese samples! We promptly threw our tooth picks we were getting ready to use away and left the place with more than a little disgust.

Popular Posts