THE INEVITABLE HATED QUESTION

It happened today ... the question I hate the most was asked ...

It all started innocently enough. Really, I'm not sure how we got to the point we got, but I was sitting at the head of our Circle Meeting circle; my little first graders were all gathered around me. We has just finished sharing one special thing we were going to do for our moms on Mother's Day, when, out of no where, some one says, "Hey, Miss Murray. Are you married?"

"No," I cringe.

These are a very forward group of first graders. So, the next question was thrown at me from three or four mouths at the same time. "Why not?"

As if I've not asked myself that a million times!

"Because I haven't found the right guy yet. Let's talk about math."

"Why not?"

OH MY GOSH! WHEN WILL THE SPANISH INQUISITION END???

"I don't know. I just haven't found one yet. So, any way, in math today, we are going to ..."

Ellie sqeals with delight as she interrupts my attempt at swerving around the wreckage that is my love life.

"Oh my gosh! My dad's divorced! This is perfect! You could marry him, and you'd be my step-mother!!!"

A few more voices join in, "Yeah!!! Marry Ellie's dad!"

I know my face is three shades of red as I silently pray, "Please God, strike me now. It's raining. It can't be that hard to send a lightening bolt my direction."

Comments

Popular Posts