HIKING IN THE MOUNTAINS

Erin and I decided that we would go hiking while we were in North Carolina. The original plan was to drive the Parkway to Linville Falls and then hike back to catch a glimpse. However, after we got on the road, we decided to hit the Crabtree Meadows Falls instead.

I was soooooo excited. You just can't even imagine how excited I was!! I packed my honest-to-goodness hiking boots and everything!

I was excited ..... until my eyes landed on this sign ... ummm, hello! BEARS!?!?!? All I could think was, "Great! I think I smell like food ... I sprayed Plumeria Body Splash on this morning. That's gotta smell like air freshener (see #4 on the Bear Alert). Plus, we have no cell service AND no side arms, and my dad ALWAYS said it's safer to hike with a side arm. I don't even know how to fire a side arm!"

Erin was looking forward to the hike as well, and, apparently, she didn't see her life flash before her eyes as I had when I read that Bear Alert. So, for her sake, I started down the trail, convinced I heard growling in the distance. As we walked, we happened upon a lovely couple, Bill and Debbie from western Indiana. Debbie was also being a weenie, as Erin put it. The Bear Alert had not gone unnoticed by Debbie either. So, we decided we were stronger than the bear in a larger group. We picked up another couple from Grand Rapids, Michigan, and the six of us hiked down to the Crabtree Meadow Falls. It was an incredible view, and we were able to get
relatively close to the falls.



























This final photo is of Erin and I, back at the trail head. Notice how flushed and sweaty we are? Hiking is hard work!

Comments

Popular Posts