OUCH! THAT HURTS!

There are a lot of things I took for granted when I was growing up in my little small town in south-central Michigan. One of those things?

Apple orchards ...

They are all over the place in my home town area. Johnny Appleseed really liked Michigan.

It was a given that every Sunday afternoon in the fall, we went out and got a bag of apples and a jug of cider. Period.

I can still remember the smell in Mr. Blodgett's cinder block building ... all the sweet smells of apples in those rickety old apple crates ... oh, and it was cold in there! The only thing there to keep you warm was an ancient pot belly stove. But you've never seen a more beautiful place to buy apples!

I moved down here to Kentucky and just assumed that I would be able to find all sorts of apple orchards. Not the case! Johnny Appleseed must not have been so taken by Kentucky.

Not only aren't there many orchards, the orchards you do find are SUPER expensive. Let me give you an example ....

Yesterday, I drove approximately 12 miles to a popular orchard, grabbed 13 apples suitable for pie-making (not all went into the pie, by the way) and a 1/2 gallon jug of cider, and headed to the cash register, at which point, the highway robbery began. I paid $10.55 for 13 apples and a 1/2 gallon jug of cider!

When I was home visiting last week, my mother paid $7.50 for a gallon jug of cider and a 1/2 peck of apples, which equates to about 30 apples, give or take.

Ahhhh! I miss Michigan apple orchards ...

Oh well, as my parents pointed out, our gas is cheaper down here than in my old neck of the woods. I guess it all works out.

Comments

Popular Posts