IT'S BEEN A WHOLE WAD OF YEARS ...

I hung out with my good friend Denise today.

Denise and I go way back ... Community Band the summer of 1989 ... well, actually farther than that. She was in Mrs. Petro's 1st grade class at Caldwell Elementary. I was in Mrs. Gray's 1st grade class across the hall. I don't know if we actually hung out back then, but I sure do remember her.

Then, at college, we managed to migrate to each other ... commuter students ... townies ... we had things in common. We ended up being fast friends ... friends that have spanned marriages and deaths and all the good and the crappie in between. We hate to begin to calculate the time we've spent being friends because that would mean we're more mature women, but according to my math, we've been doing life together for going on close to 20 years.

Denise's oldest daughter is a student in Carrie's 4th grade classroom .... the class my 4th graders are pen palling with this year. I sat in Denise's living room and said, "I'm just having a hard time adjusting to the fact that you have a kid in 4th grade. The girls were just itty-bitty not too long ago."

"Yeah, well, imagine how I feel," was Denise's reply.

Sorry, I can't. My mind is still to wrapped up in how I feel about it!

Most of my life seems to be a blur, but there are moments I look back at and recall them with vivid clarity.

I can remember standing at the front of the church watching Denise and her dad walk down the aisle ... on a warm October day much like the one's I've been experiencing this week here in Michigan. I could almost swear to you that happened yesterday.

Nope. According to Denise, they will be celebrating their 11th anniversary this weekend. How can that be?

Isn't that funny how life works?

If you blink or turn away for just a moment, it whizzes past you with such speed, you spend the rest of the lifetime trying to figure out what the rush of wind was ...

Comments

Anonymous said…
It really does fly by
~Shanny
Anonymous said…
I had such fun hanging out with you too...it just went too fast! So neat that we can always just hang out no matter how long it's been. 20 years huh...that's just scary! but true. One of these days I will make it down you see you. Just remember to enjoy each day good friend, because it will be gone before you realize it!
~Denise

Popular Posts