NO HOLIDAY BLUES THIS YEAR

I can actually say that this is the first year in a very, very, very long time, I've not awoken, on the day after Christmas, feeling depressed and blue.

This is a moment to celebrate!

My parents have always done Christmas BIG, even in the lean years. It's always been every bit of Christmas build-up leading up to the big day, and I've loved every minute of it. But for me, the build-up leads to a giant sigh of ... I don't know ... maybe, "oh-no-it's-all-over-with."

This year, I purposed to really relax during the season, and, in doing so, I made a couple of goals for myself:
  1. I wasn't going to stress about money and spending. I would set a goal, get some ideas gathered for gifts for everyone, and set out to find what I could with the money I had available to me. Low and behold, I was able to get all of my shopping done in a few hours time, AND I got everything I went into the store looking for ... wahoo!!!
  2. I wasn't going to spend my time "wishing away" my holiday season. I wanted to absorb all I could. I didn't want to stress about a dirty house or silly superficial stuff like that. I wanted to take it all in, whatever I could. Yes, I missed a couple of Christmas programs along the way, but I enjoyed what I was able to take in.
  3. I was going to look forward to going home and not put a lot of undue stress on myself at trying to do it all or see everyone. I may miss hanging out with some folks, but you know what, I'm spending some amazing quality time with my family, and I am enjoying them thoroughly.
  4. I didn't have a lot of expectations for gifts this year ... not that I do any year, but this year was a year where I couldn't really come up with an answer to my mother's question; "So, what would you like for Christmas this year?" I've ALWAYS been able to more than amply answer that question. This year, all I could come up with was, "ummm ... steak knives." It made the gifts that I did receive even more of a surprise because I wasn't anticipating anything, if that makes sense ...
  5. I really tried to keep the true meaning of the reason for celebrating alive in my heart. For me, Christmas is important because it is the celebration of the birth of my Saviour. Focusing on that made the season that much sweeter.

What revolutionary concepts, right? And yet, up to this point, I've never been able to master/meet these goals.

I am very proud that this year, I've met each one! It certainly has made the holiday season much more enjoyable.

Comments

Popular Posts