HAVE YOU EVER HAD ONE OF THOSE DAYS?

We had a freakishly warm day yesterday, which meant that at some point, disastrous weather was going to come crashing down upon us.

Yeah, like, at about 8:35 p.m., give or take, when the winds of change starting whipping at my townhouse, going 70 miles per hour ... I swear to you. I wouldn't lie about this stuff!

I was completely stressed because today our school was getting audited by the people in the Great White Ivory Tower. Because I am a one-man band when it comes to science in fourth grade, and because it's my first year teaching science in a new state, with new state standards, I was on high alert. I wanted to make sure what I had planned went off with out a hitch.

My kids are studying plants, and I wanted to take some time for them to actually see and physically touch a tap root (carrot) and a fibrous root (the roots on a green onion) and check out root hairs. I made a mad dash in one of the 18 million torrential down-pours we had yesterday -- before it turned freakishly cold on us -- to buy a bag of carrots. I already had the green onions in my fridge.

The day dawned bright, earlier, and seriously windy this morning, and, if I'd said it once, I said a thousand times to myself, "DON'T FORGET THE FREAKIN' FIBROUS ROOTS!"

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I climbed into my truck and realized I'd forgotten the fibrous roots. So, I braved the wind shears one more time to go back into the house to get them ... only, guess what!

In the straight-line winds and rains we had yesterday evening, and then in the subsequent arctic circle afterward, every lock leading into my house froze ... i.e., I could no longer get a key into the key hole, i.e., I could no longer gain entrance into my house ... i.e., no green onions ... i.e., sucky science lesson.

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right?

Comments

Popular Posts