SOME REVIEWS

Okay, so in my effort to enjoy myself more, I've managed to read three books ... so far, and see one movie. Below are my reviews of said books and movie. Bear in mind, the books ... not recent publishing. I'm WAAAAAY behind on my reading lists ...

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham
I LOVED this book! It was the sweetest, non-sappy Christmas story I'd read in a good, long while, and it made me laugh ... out loud, in many instances. And let's face it, lately, I've not been that entertained by books. Call it ADHD, but I've just not been all that "held" by books, which, for a bibliophile, is a tragedy. This book held me the entire time; so, yay for John Grisham! I give it an A-.

Shopaholic Ties the Knot by Sophie Kinsella
It was an entertaining book ... one I didn't have to think through, which is a good thing. I just wasn't in the mood for thinking. I will say, however, that I skipped a whole, entire section of the book, which isn't necessarily a good thing. So, I will tell you this had a somewhat predictable plot. I mean, if you can skip 50 to 100 pages and STILL know what's going on ... well, I think you get the picture. Yet, it was entertaining, and I did like the ending. I give it a B-.

Honeymoon by James Patterson and Howard Roughan
Okay, I got burned on James Patterson novels. The first couple I read were decently good. However, I picked up one that was so disturbing in its sexual deviance, I've not wanted to read another one! This book, Honeymoon, found its way into my hands via a colleague. I just couldn't refuse her. She said it was a good beach read. Well! Let me just tell you, it was a good "sofa-curled-up-under-a-quilt-read" too! Wow! It kept me "into it" the entire time. I think Patterson is overly obsessed with sex, but he's a man, and what man isn't at one point or another in his life. I give this book a B+, only because they failed to tie up a significant loose end, in my estimation, at the book's conclusion. Otherwise, it would have been an A for sure!

My movie review for the week ... I actually went out and spent a TON of money at a theatre in Lexington (larger cities do have the priciest movies), but I've got to tell you, this movie was worth it!

P.S. I LOVE YOU ... Ladies, (and gentlemen, for that matter) bring your Kleenexes! But you won't need Kleenexes for the sappy, sweetness of it all. No, no! You will need Kleenexes because it hits you at the very depth of yourself. It is an amazing story of love, and love lost, and love found again, and the crazy, upside down world we call LIFE. It touched me deeply, and I LOVE when a movie does that. There was even a plot twist I didn't see coming, and I ALWAYS see plot twists coming. I cried in numerous parts of the film ... I laughed during even more parts ... and I was contemplative throughout. I give this movie two thumbs WAAAAAY up, and an A+ to boot! And by the way, Erin feels my new approach to finding love is to just take a trip to Ireland. "They don't have those in America!" ... great line from the movie!

Last footnote ... I've fallen completely in love with Gerard Butler, who plays Gerry. Again, "they don't have those in America!"

Comments

Popular Posts