SO SORRY TO HAVE INCONVENIENCED YOU

I have to have my thyroid biopsied. More to the point, I have to have the thingy-ma-gig that has currently taken up residency on my thyroid biopsied.

Yes, I had a freak out moment or two. Who wouldn't, right?

But then I calmed down. It's not in my control so why freak out about it. It is what it is, and I will deal with whatever it is when I find out what it is. The risk of cancer is low ... 1 to 1,000 according to the doctor. However, there is still a risk, so everyone is taking it seriously.

But what this blog is really about is the office staff at the doctor's office. Apparently, I really inconvenienced them this morning. Imagine that!

I called first thing this morning, after the doctor's nurse left me a message Friday afternoon to call her first thing.

The receptionist was rather irritated and said, "well, I'm not even sure she's here right now."

I wanted to retort, "Too bad, check anyway." But instead, I just gave her the silent treatment and waited for her to check. Checking must not be in her job description?

The nurse wasn't there yet, but she said she would have her call me back. So, I sat around in my pajamas for three hours waiting, because it's the law of gravity and nature and any other law you can think of to call someone immediately upon them entering the shower.

When she didn't call after three hours, I called back. Doggone it! I have stuff to do, and I'm tired of waiting around to do it!

The receptionist audibly huffed into the phone when I called back ... it might have been that I mentioned that I was ready to start my day and really wanted to talk to the nurse ... who knows.

Wouldn't you know that the nurse came on the line and was snippy as well.

Here's the deal ... handing people news that there is some sort of what not and so forth on their thyroid and they must now have a biopsy might be common, everyday stuff to them. It is not, however, for me! Is it too much to ask for that you use some common courtesy and kindness where the patients are concerned? Or is this too much to ask?

At any rate, however this plays out, this particular medical group has lost a patient. I am heading over to a practice that just added a new female, family practitioner. I'm going to talk to them about adding me on as a patient.

If I'm paying all that money out, I want to feel like I matter and my feelings matter, and, more to the point, I want to feel like I've not inconvenienced everyone in the office that day, Monday or otherwise.

Comments

Big Red said…
Way to go,preach it sister!!!!!!!!
Anonymous said…
I cannot agree with you more!! That sucks but I would make sure I write an acid pen letter to the practice to let them know WHY they lost a patient. ~Shanny
Mom said…
Thanks Carrie, I was going to say almost the same thing. Make sure they know why you are leaving. You want to be treatd like a person with feelings not a diagnosis.
Denise said…
Wow! It's all been said, so I'll just say, "Yeah, what they said!!!"

Popular Posts