MINI-MELTDOWN

I just had a mini-meltdown. Tears ... Kleenexes ... the works ... a grade A, mini emotional meltdown.

Since Maddie the Cat passed away, I've known I've wanted to adopt another cat. Specifically, I've been looking for a Maine Coon kitten. There are tons and tons of animals out there, just begging for a new home. Trust me, every time I go to a shelter, I leave in tears. I wish I could take them all home.

But I'm a responsible pet owner. So, I know, right now, I should only have one cat.

I had a line on a cute little Maine Coon kitten. He sounded so sweet ... fell in love with him just based on his story. I got word today that I would not be able to adopt him unless I adopted his little buddy too. Also, if I even thought about declawing them, I would not be allowed to adopt them, because, in the foster parent's mind, I was mutilating them. Okay, I understand where they are coming from on the mutilation part, and honestly, I wouldn't have done it to Maddie had it not been for the fact that she actually put herself in danger on NUMEROUS occasions with her constant climbing. Plus, she was destroying everything in sight ... refused to use the scratching pole. But that was Maddie ... she was a piece of work, that cat!

However, the thing I had my mini emotional meltdown on was the fact that it was explained to me, in excruciating detail, how a kitten needs all sorts of love and devotion for proper development. It was explained to me in excruciating detail, that a kitten left alone will have emotional issues. I almost felt like I was 12 again. Like I didn't quite understand what it was to raise and care for a kitten.

I immediately started crying, because I know full well what it takes to love an animal. I spent 10 years loving the crap right out of Sadie the Dog, and every day, I miss her ... wish she was here next to me, patiently waiting for a scratch on those big, floppy ears. I spent nine years loving the crap out of Maddie the Cat, despite her ornery demeanor and her complete and total disregard for anything other than her self. Every night, when I crawl into bed, I crawl in missing that fuzzy cat ball that always curled up next to me, purring away.

This world STILL has something against single people. I don't get it. Because I'm not married and chucking out kids, I somehow don't have quite as loving a home to raise a kitten? Maybe it's just me, but that is how I felt today, and I couldn't help getting my feelings hurt. I just want a sweet kitten to love and raise. That's it. Nothing more ...

My past experiences with pet adoption have been wonderful, and yet, this time, my experience thus far, has been not at all pleasant and happy. It almost makes a girl want to give up.

Comments

Micah said…
Megan, that person is completely ridiculous and makes me really angry on your behalf! You have more good sense and compassion than most people who raise children or animals, and you do not deserve to be treated like that! Grrr!
Anonymous said…
I'd go back & tell that outfit to take me off their list, they sound like a bunch of idiots. They forget that with animals they give unconditional love & you don't have to be with them 24/7 to give them a good home.
Anonymous said…
I agree with big red Megs not worth your time...you'll find a pet without being abused by the "foster parents"

Popular Posts